29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Posted: Fri, 2011-11-25 22:22

The first and only time on concert with D-A-D I had the opportunity to meet the band backstage! This occured in Flen 12/08-2011.

This is my story; in Swedish!

http://reconstrucdead.blogg.se/2011/august/20110814.html

Now tell med yours!

/Petri Torvinen (https://www.facebook.com/ptorvinen)

Posted: Sat, 2011-11-26 15:00

Please can you tell a little bit about it in English....how was it to meet the band?

Anonymous's picture
Petri (not verified)

Posted: Sat, 2011-11-26 19:45

Me and my brother went backstage and met Stig, Jacob and Jesper personally. Me and Stig spoke a little about bass and music, ... and I mentioned my "Jacob-arrangements" to a four-stringed electric bass. Stig was a bit startled and said "Shit! His guitar passages?" (in Danish). I promised myself never to wash my right hand again ... but it was not long before I found myself in the bathroom. We had to go out and we mingled among a bunch of other DAD-fans (pictures are on my facebook; https://www.facebook.com/ptorvinen) At 23 the concert began and it was beyond all expectations.

D-A-D played the following songs:

1) Evil Twin
2) Jihad
3) Beautiful Together
4) Soft Dogs
5) 19 ... and Yesterday
6) Scare Yourself
7) Black Crickets
8) ReconstrucDEAD
9) Monster Philosophy
10) Sleeping My Day Away
11) Road Below Me
12) Laugh 'n' a half
13) Bad Craziness
14) It's After Dark
15) Ridin' With Sue

I filmed most of the concert, but with lousy sound quality. The only song to come out fine was "Laugh 'n' a 1 / 2". I also took pictures of the band (Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/ptorvinen). Some weird girl behind me kept constantly pushing me as soon as the camera had set focus. She just wanted to come to the first line where me and my brother had been standing since we came in. And another girl next to my brother and a large, big guy, ... that none of us brothers remember the name today; she kept staring at me during the whole concert, ... which felt right uncomfortable when I'm not used to the attention.

Before the concert (backstage) we were invited back after the show by Stig himself, ... but when we went there Laust told us that we could come back in 5-10 minutes, after they had showered. As we sat there and talked Finnish for ourselves, ... he starts accusing us of talking shit about him so he retrieves his other buddies. We said we were waiting to be let in, ... but then he told the first guard that we have provoked him. I went into the bathroom to pee and in the meanwhile the guard took a grip on my brother and threw him out, ... and returned a while later to the bathroom and kept staring at me behind my back,... while I peed. The foot was shaking like crazy just to think about what he could get away with. I have been through such a guard before, ... although this guard, I probably wouldn't get fired when I did not know the club-owner personally.

Outside we confronted a third guard and told him what had happened. It solved nothing,... the buddy-spirit that they have. Instead of waiting for the police and a night in detox-cell, we took a taxi to the hostel, ... at a cost of 400 SEK. How can it be so impossible to get a bus into that town?

(a small piece of translation - http://reconstrucdead.blogg.se/category/augusti-1.html)

/Petri Torvinen

Anonymous's picture
Petri (not verified)

Posted: Sat, 2011-11-26 19:50

As we sat there and talked Finnish for ourselves, ... the guard starts accusing us of talking shit about him so he retrieves his other buddies.

Anonymous's picture
Petri (not verified)

Posted: Sat, 2011-11-26 19:56

Although I forgot to mention that I spoke to Jesper too,... but he didn't say much. I told him that I've been a huge fan since -92 and shook hands.

With Jacob (the redeye) I just spoke with,... when I spoke to Stig. It was a little difficult to understand danish, ... but Stigs language is somehow easier to understand than Jacob's and Jesper's. I only shook hand with Laust,... and he told us to return after the showers.

Posted: Sun, 2011-11-27 15:58

cool story..

Posted: Wed, 2011-11-30 21:02

sorry I'm using an internet translator:
I love the band for 20 years, I only saw them once this year (for my 40 years!) in Peymeinade this summer, they played in a pine forest in front of 200 people, and only forty fans like me. then we just spent on the side of the stage for meet them.lot of emotions, and after this meeting so thought impossible and my bad English, it was hard not to feel silly, fun was the 4, they were caught in photos, even if we could see they were very tired: the concert was great and they are given as if they were to complete a stage ... a great time ... I 'looking forward Savigny le temple, or I would have more perspective to appreciate it more simply

Anonymous's picture
Petri (not verified)

Posted: Wed, 2011-11-30 22:19

I was in Flen (as i wrote) and wanted to take pictures of the band backstage. But everything was such a rush,... that when Stig asked if me and my brother wanted to join them backstage after the show I figured i could take some pictured then. But that didn't happen of course!

Posted: Wed, 2011-11-30 23:18

we could take pictures with each of the guys, but I am really look silly on it: I keep to myself!(so my avatar is what i like before D.A.D's music..) and stig that still faces ... it was fun, just the guys and The Few People Who Was There for the band, just for the band, and I did dedicate my "overmuch box" ...i regret do not have a picture with all the band and me, just one at time...

Posted: Tue, 2012-10-16 10:44

met them a few times, and just said hi and took pictures sometimes... they've always been nice and polite Smiley

Posted: Sun, 2012-05-20 20:50

I've chased them around backstage a few times. Poor guys Smiley But always lovely, super friendly!

CGx

Posted: Fri, 2012-06-01 14:31

hmm. I met them back in 1991 (Bradford) - very polite & happy to give time.
Then managed to speak to Stig outside the Underword this tour..yes, polite but he was obviously not wanting to give any time for a quickchat & made it clear he could only give 'a moment' for a quick photo. Then again i suppose window-shopping in Camden is very important. We did catch sight of Jesper, but again he seemed not fussed about the small group of fans outside the venue & he appeared to make sure he crossed the road well away from us while again 'window shopping' on camden high street. (wouldve been a shorter journey to walk by us - 5 of us, all in classic D-A-D shirts)
Yes, people are busy, but guys? c'mon! 2 minutes of your time can mean so much.
The trip for me was - Early train from Leeds to Londond, gig then late train to Leeds followed by 4 hour wait in Leeds for 1st morning train home, shower, breakfast then back to work. Shattered after a 20 year wait to see them again.

Posted: Fri, 2012-06-01 23:49

Och Jack, that is shite – I’m really disappointed for you- I know how long you have waited to see them.

I don’t understand this attitude, because every time I have met our boys they have been so friendly to us.

LongHorn and I have been lucky enough to meet them a few times (Luxembourg was great fun Smiley and also to blag our way backstage and share a few beers with the band, Torleif and the roadies. They were always, always nice. Bochum, Jüchen, Kerkrade…so friendly Smiley

Once – weirdly – I met Stig and Manse outside our hotel in Nyhaven one really early Sunday morning after the gig in Copenhagen 2009, I had popped out for a cig and S&M (nice!) walked past on the way to pick up the Sunday papers and milk. I had a Manse cuddle (gorgeous);-) Stig and I had a very friendly, but slighty bizarre chat.

Maybe they were all having a bad day Smiley-sad

But that's neither an excuse nor an explanation - that just sucks. You're a long time fan.

Not good enough.

CGx

Posted: Fri, 2012-06-01 20:40

Well, my wife summed it up quite well and backstage in Bochum in 2009 for nearly two or three hours was definitely the biggest fun. What I found a bit irritating was the gig in Kerkrade (Holland) back in March. Usually the bands playing there turn up to meet the fans 10 mins after the show. In fact the only one turning up was Cobber, he signed autographs, had little chats with everyone and just stayed in the pub for the rest of the evening. The rest of the band: not to be seen. I thought this was really weak because there is no way out of this venue but through it. They just didn't show up and decided to stay in their 10 square metre backstage area.

I just didn't get it. The only way for bands to make any money these days is live shows, not record sales and in a tiny village like Kerkrade with approx. 250 people attending - whose loss would it have been if the whole band had turned up to take pictures with their fans and sign some autographs ?

Some 1 1/2 hours after the show, that's when when we left, there were still people waiting with record covers and CD booklets in front of the tour-bus to get them signed......and it was damn cold then.............no one to be seen ! Really stupid of the remaining three guys not to turn up. I don't know, I loved all four shows that we saw on this tour but somehow I thought that the guys probably cannot handle the fact any more that they didn't achieve world stardom.............which they could have done in the late 80s/early 90s - nowadays it's too late and they have to face the fact that they are still big in Denmark - but the rest of the world doesn't care apart from hard-core fans like us.

I was really disappointed of their behaviour too. Cobber was the only one who really seemed to have a good time among the fans. Big thumbs up for him.

Longhorn

Posted: Sat, 2012-06-02 10:27

@Longhorn: I can imagine, that this is a disappointing feeling but you have to see the other side. Maybe the other three boys were not in the mood to meet fans and writing autographs. Maybe the concert wasn't good in their opinion or they feeling not good and decide not to come out. Often there is a expectance due from the fans: "The Band has to do it!" - but they don't have to do that. When you're coming to a concert, you pay for the live show and you get a live show - but you don't pay for the right to see a band AFTER the show, getting pictures, autographs or something else. If a band do that, than it's a nice goodie on top - but they don't have to do it everytime.

Posted: Sun, 2012-06-03 21:20

Sarah, I totally agree with you.

But...D-A-D are different, totally special.

And their fans are too.

CGx

Posted: Mon, 2012-06-04 10:46

@Curly: What do you mean with "different" or "totally special" ?

I think in every band and fan-culture exist expectances, emotions, moods and disappointments because we are all humans with feelings. Smiley

Posted: Mon, 2012-06-04 13:31

Moin Moin.

First time I met them has been in Hamburg this year.
They came out about 2 hours after the show and have been very polite.
They had a small chat with every fan, signed everything and took pictures.

Then I went to the Convention in Odense.
They seemed more distanced there, but very professional and nice.
But it felt like there has been a thin wall between them and the fans.

I can understand if they are not in a good mood or feeling busy.
But I also think giving autographs after a concert is a part of their job.
I would never contact them when I see them before the show, maybe at a shopping tour or something else (like it happened in Hamburg)
I think that's their private life and belongs to them.
But after a concert I think it won't hurt them to give some autographs.

But they are only humans, and of course they are not allways in the right mood to meet fans.

Kind regards, Steffij

Posted: Tue, 2012-06-05 10:48

I think it's a very interesting question "what a band should have to do and what not". I treat this topic in my diploma thesis and spoke with some experts and bands about the exeptance of fans and the relationship between bands and fans.
I think it's a good thing, when bands are open to their crowd. They should be communicative but not to often and always in a special way. It's a nice goodie if bands come out after show for autographs and pictures, but I think it's not their main job. BUT It's very important to make the fans happy and to have a good relationship to them. Otherwise fans will be disappointed and the loyalty for the band get lost...

Posted: Wed, 2012-06-06 21:04

Hey Sarah and Steffi,

I was really interested in both of your comments.

I would NEVER intrude in a band member's private life, but I DO think that a band should try and meet their fans whenever possible, especially a band like DAD.

For example, I was so sad to read of SaucyJack's story, 20 years waiting to see them again, all that travelling, all the expense, just to be ignored. It's just not good enough.

I have been lucky enough to meet DAD a few times, they were always lovely, and their music became even MORE special to me after each meeting. That's my point, really.

I think it's really important for bands to try and interact with the people who spend their leisure time listening to them, working hard in order to be able to buy their CDs, DVDs and travelling (often hundreds of kilometres) to see them.

I just don't get it.

We are people who love you! Come and meet us! We're nice!

What's not to like about that!!:-)

Rant over Smiley-sad

CGxx

Anonymous's picture
Till//3R (not verified)

Posted: Thu, 2012-06-07 12:51

Hey Longhorn and SaucyJack,

Sorry for your disappointment. I know, what it feels like... But i can assure you, that the guys in D-A-D are actually the complete opposite of so called "Rockstars" with a bad attitude, bad manners and no interest in fans or conversation. But what they really are: Humans. From time to time there are some reasons given, that they just don´t feel like having chats or laughs. And at the end of the day, that´s what makes them authentic and - in the best sense - human. It wouldn´t show there respect towards the fans, if they came out and have "chats" and "laughs" when they just don´t feel like. That´s kind of betraying, what is just not cool. Sometimes there are no obvious reasons, why somebody behaves like this or like that. But what I know: D-A-D is one of the most down to earth-bands I know, and no matter in what condition they are or in front of how many people they play: They offer always 100% of what they are able to give this night. And that´s what their "job" is. Everything else is "nice to have" and - from what I know and what I have seen throughout the last years I worked with these great guys - they don´t take their fans and their success and whatever else not for granted, but want to deliver always more as they actually have to (as artists and musicians).

kitbon's picture

Posted: Thu, 2012-06-07 20:30

Till/3R
I really hope you are right, and I always believed so - especially as we talked to Laust at the souvenir stand in Aarhus a couple of months ago. - My son got a cow-scull for his 25. birthday from me and his father, and he would like to have it signed. - I asked Laust what to do, we had planned to bring it to Herning-Rocker. Laust told us to talk to someone who was in charge of the backstage area, which my son did - and drove to Herning a couple of days before with the scull and a letter for the band with a few words and his phone no. - he had asked the guys not to sign it if he couldn't be there and take a photo. He heard nothing and we thought 'Ok, some other time then' - but when he got the scull back it was actually signed. - Now I hope that it's because the guy who should pass it on to DAD is an asshole and hasn't passed on the letter - otherwise my illusions will be damaged Smiley-midget-sad
Greetings from kitbon

Posted: Fri, 2012-06-08 11:17

oh Christ...
Never meant for my own personal views to creat such a negative reflection....even if it's maybe just a little correct.

Some say bands should make time, some feel they dont have to. Opinions are fine. Experiences however can alter viewpoints.
Take a band like D-A-D.
Yes, they are very popular in Dansk & surrounding areas.
Over here in the UK they have suffered (from what i can see & know) of really terrible management & promotion's. As a result, even during the Glory Years from 89 to 92, very few knew of gigs announced.
after HYSFish, albums have been near impossible to obtain in he UK & the feeling within anyone i know that Lives on the Island has been "D-A-D dont really care about the UK"

*I dont know if this is how the band feel

going back in history, within the UK we've had:

1 possible date in London in 1986 supporting unknown 'goth band'
*can anyone confirm this?

tour support for Sea Hags in 1987
*very little promotion to let any fan know D-A-D were playing!!

short tour for Pilgrims which failed to include a gig in the UK's biggest County (Yorkshire) but managed TWO gigs within Birmingham???

short tour for Riskin' in 91. Again, promotion for this was so bad, i met people an hour after the Bradford gig in a rock club who were wanting to know where i got my shirt!

then 4?nights with Ozzy - again,promotional issues as I was very lucky to get an Ozzy ticket prior to knowing D-A-D were the support act & VERY good friends of mine missed out & then were horrified to find out!!

now things here get really bad....

HYSfish was released & in the UK cost £15.99!! - your average album was £10.
as for 'tour' - 1 night in London.
this followed by lot's of silence.....

*Fans obtained info via the Net when after it was invented!

skip a few years & albums as nothing was known here....
we get to E-Glows.
ONE date again in London.

Years then pass by with next to NOTHING known outside of the Internet.

until 2012 - again ONE UK date, again in the UK, again LONDON!
btw - still no official releases in the UK since HYSFish!! -?

during the last 2 DECADES their has been a very small, hardcore fanbase that has struggled to 'keep faith'.

So in my opinion I do honestly feel the band shouldve on the return here done all they could to THANK us fans here!!! giving just a few minutes to a handful of ageing & tired people would not have taken much effort 7 the Info they wouldve been able to share on here could really have given other fans a BOOST!

ARE WE ALIVE HERE?
yes, we bl**dy are! .....just.

So c'mon lad's -
SURELY there is a support slot at least you can fill??
& dont forget, apart from London there is within this Island:

1 - the REST of England - up North??
2) SCOTLAND
3) Wales
4) Northern Ireland

Believe me, anyplace i'v ever been, if i've worn a D-A-D shirt, a stranger would approach & say:
"wow, have you seen them? WHERE?? How??? When???"

I did enjoy the show.
I just felt the lad's treated the day as though they were a 'house band' that plays the place every night of the week, nothing special to them.

can anyone change my POINT OF VIEW?

Posted: Fri, 2012-06-08 11:28

can i just add a POSITIVE to this?

big thank you for the Ticket Price - £12 was AMAZING value in this day & age.
seriously, it was!

kitbon's picture

Posted: Sat, 2012-06-09 18:14

Hi SaucyJack!
Maybe we should just call it 'objective' instead of 'negative'. - I have seen this band 8 times I think, and I feel different about the concerts, and it will always be like that. - We all have experienced days when 'Everything Glows' (to be sentimental) and you dance through the day and succeed in everything, like some parties are extremely great though you are with the same ppl as always - and I'm sure we have had days where NOTHING is turning out the best way even though you try your hardest. You can't control your mood or the things that happen during the day. - I certainly have felt welcome and 'invited in' every time with these guys - but some nights just have that extra 'thing' which the audience is a great part of - you owe it to a band to join in and give yourself as much as they do instead of just 'being entertained' - like the 12. player in soccer which is invaluable to the players.
About Herning Rocker I must say I was more pissed than my son was - my immediate feeling though was surprise - but that's over and we are looking forward to the next event.
I guess the nights when you are not or NOT in the mood for performance are the nights that tempt many musicians, sportsstars, actors to take something to stimulate themselves - and I prefer DAD to stay alive as long as possible, so rather a less thrilling gig with a sober band than... you know...the important in life for all of us is (in my opinion): Stay true to yourself!

Greetings from kitbon

Posted: Sat, 2012-06-09 03:27

Sorry... Jag tar det på Svenska...
Förra sidan ni hade var bättre... Och varför tas vissa låtar bort på You Tube? Visst, jag kan betala för att höra er... Men... Man e inte alltid hemma med skivan...

Posted: Wed, 2012-06-20 09:27

I met them yesterday in Kiel, after the show at Hörnbühne.
First Jesper came out and I asked him to sign my car, because I have those "No fuel...." lyrics on it.
I asked him if the others will come out too, but he said that he thinks "no".
I had my dog with me, and as the D-A-D car drove out of the backstage area Stig saw my dog.
They stopped the car and Stig jumped out, directly to my dog, asking him "Hej, who are you?"
Then Stig had a small hug with my dog.
I asked him to sign my car, and on the way we talked a little about the dog, the Kieler Woche thing,....
Laut and Cobber also signed my car.
They all have been very polite, even if they seemed a bit busy.
Other fans took pictures and aked for autographs too.
It's been very nice.

Kind regards, Steffi

Posted: Thu, 2012-07-26 11:56

I've met them at two signing-sessions, which was a fine experience. I talked to Jesper about a show they recently had played in Århus University Park and he was very kind to me. Laust, always smiling and with a good energy. I had an "akward silence" moment with Cobber, we where maybe both waiting for the other to say something. And then it ended up with a minute of silence instead :P
Then I showed Stigge a picture I had drawn - well drawn that is - and he giggled and said that he thought he looked like Michael Jackson o_O You never know what kind of responce you get from Stigge.. lol.
SaucyJack - I know what you meen. And when you experience something like that then just remember - besides being rockstars they are also just humans with flaws and bad days like everyone else. From what I know, they are always behaving neutral or friendly even if they dont feel like doing "fan-stuff". And they do have the right to say no to a fan that they meet randomly.
Exspecially Stigge can be a little off sometimes. Don't bother. No harm is intended I'm shure Smiley-midget

Anonymous's picture
ARNE (not verified)

Posted: Sat, 2012-09-01 21:34

how much albums have dad sold in their entire career?